Monday, May 4, 2009

The Real World, Physical Therapy, and a Train Wreck

So graduations are upon us and I was wondering, 'is it a good time to graduate?' With the economy and unemployment situations right now, is it better to be a junior or below, having more school while the US rights the ship? There are some industries and majors that may be recession proof, but many more that aren't. I couldn't imagine being on the cusp of graduating and going out into 'the real world' as say, a business major. Or imagine being an engineering student from Lehigh or other prestigious engineering school thinking you're going to work for Pontiac. These are some scary implications that college graduating classes haven't seen in some years.
I have come around on physical therapy. I looked at it as a hassle, having to go twice a week to work on my back and right leg problems. While I found the therapists to be really nice people, it seemed to be an unnecessary addition to my already busy schedule. I know I needed it. I couldn't sit down when I was coaching basketball games this season. My team, as well as my grades, have suffered because of back pain and some of the pain medications that go along with it. So I took it upon myself to start stretching back and leg muscles at home. I was really just doing what I was supposed to but didn't believe I had the time or energy to do so. I am feeling better and enjoyed a round of golf on Saturday. Now, I want to keep working to be pain free and beat this disc disease nonsense.
As a sports fan, I try to follow and learn as much as possible about the games, but stuff comes along that really makes me lose interest in a sport or sport star. The latest is the Alex Rodriguez book. It seems to me that this guy's life has turned into a train wreck. He probably has the most expensive divorce proceedings since Michael Jordan and is as big a lightning rod for controversy as Terrell Owens. It fuels sports talk radio but who really cares about this National Enquirer type crap? Even the steroids stuff and 'disgracing' baseball is too much. For some of the time he used roids, it wasn't against Major League Baseball's rules, though illegal in the US. The whole steroids thing kills me. There is a pill that makes you better at your job. Illegal or not, probably fifty percent of us are going to take it. There is someone out there, younger, better or willing to work for less behind us. Right now I'm more interested in the Boston Bruins pursuit of the Stanley Cup and the Cubs trying to end their hundred year championship drought, as far as my sports interests go. I'm even too busy with school work at times, to enjoy those. Until next week, keep learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment