Monday, April 27, 2009

My Epiphany & the Best Two Months of the Year

In 'The Simpson's Movie', Homer has an epiphany and returns to Springfield to save his family and the town. While I was in Chapel Hill, NC for the CSRI Conference, I had an epiphany of my own, though there was no one to save. The epiphany was a simple realization that I could live anywhere within the continental US. I have lived in the northeast for all of my 38 years. Many of my vacations have also been in this region, from Washington DC to Cape Cod, MA. I don't believe there is anywhere better in the world to live than the area between Washington DC and Boston. A lot of our nations history has been formed here and some of the greatest cities in the world are found in this area. My realization came as a surprise to me personally because I never pictured myself living outside the region. I love the four seasons and the more uptempo lifestyle. I'm sure Chicago and Los Angeles also have that type of intensity as well. A few of my classmates didn't want to leave Chapel Hill mainly because the found the people to be so friendly and the intensity was dialed down a bit. I enjoyed some of these aspects as well, but I liked the fresh clean air and somewhat laid back style. Some of that could be contributed to my age or my back problems also. A couple of the professors at the conference asked me about graduate school but I am more worried about finishing my degree 21 years after I started. I did look into grad school, however, and found one in the Midwest, which seemed right for me. That obviously will require a move to another part of the country and a new experience. I'm looking forward to it, but let's worry about the year I have left in school, first.
HOCKEY FANS-I have not forgotten you. This is the best time of the year for those of us who enjoy pucks and the best 2 months of the year, the Stanley Cup playoffs. This year's field seems wide open, especially given the way the first round has played out. Who pictured New York or Anaheim being in the positions they are now-having a top seed on the verge of elimination? Anaheim-San Jose has been one of the NHL's better rivalries the past 3 or so years but the Rangers stealing games from the Caps and the Caps going to a 20 year old goalie to help them comes as a bit more of a shock. Vancouver and Boston dominated their opponents thoroughly but how will they fare with a big layoff before the next round? For the non-hockey fans, get on board and enjoy the passion, energy, and intensity the playoffs have to offer. Until next week, keep learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment