Monday, April 13, 2009

Twitter, technology in the film industry, and chasing a dream

As I mentioned last week, I was going to try to learn Twitter. It's a great way to meet people you may not actually meet otherwise in your little corner of the world wherever it may be. I also told my daughter and another classmate how to use it. Imagine learning technology from a 38 year old! Anyway, I've made some friends and several sports contacts along the way. I did everything from quote funny movie lines to talking sports with baseball and basketball fans. If I have a problem with Twitter, it would be that it somewhat over values the mundane details of our lives. How many of you cared that I went to physical therapy twice last week? Or that I watched "Wyatt Earp" (the Kevin Costner version) on Sunday? The only celeb I'm following is Kevin Pollak. He had me at "Canadian Bacon". I also learned about the movie business and how technology, in particular, enhances it. I can put myself on the moon or in a city I've never been to, like London. Maybe eventually, movie directors and producers won't have to film on location. For those of you that may have missed it, I coach basketball. Coached middle school this year and though our won-loss record was subpar, all eight of the kids developed as players which is always my main goal. Anyway the school year ahead may forbid me from coaching and I was asked if I'd rather coach or graduate. I honestly had to think about it. I love coaching more than breathing and enjoy being at the gym and teaching most of all. So this week I applied for a coaching position with Harvard's Men's Basketball team as an assistant to Tommy Amaker. Those of you who are old enough may remember him from Duke as part of their backcourt in the 80's. He has also coached at Seton Hall and Michigan. The chance to learn from someone like that, combined with my respect for the Ivy League was too much to resist. The Ivy League offers no athletic scholarships and doesn't have a conference tournament, so the regular season sets up a 'winner take all' scenario. The old school mentality suits me. I know its a longshot to get the job but I figured I'd try. Sometimes you have to chase the dream. I'm known as a chaser at the poker table too, should we ever find ourselves face-to-face over some hold 'em. Next week, the CSRI Conference and my favorite time of the year, the Stanley Cup playoffs. Stay tuned and keep learning!

2 comments:

  1. So you're a poker player? Have you been to the Bethelham Sands yet? Just video gaming now I think but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops. you're not in PA. you're in NC. I'm not blonde, really, I'm not.

    ReplyDelete